Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Clueless"

In 1996, Brian Henson directed the plush-figured creature version of Robert Louis Stevenson's novel and titled it "Muppet Treasure Island".  It's a great kid's movie.  My boys nearly wore out our VHS version when they were small.

While watching it, I was surprised to find that Henson had borrowed so generously from my life when modeling one particular member of the crew.  Watch this short video.  You may find a crewman that you identify with, too.  Mine is right after Dead Tom:



Clueless Shope - - That's me! It would be embarrassing - - if I didn't find myself in such good company.

Hebrews 11 reminds us that Abraham up and moved himself, his wife, his nephew, and all his belongings "even though he did not know where he was going." (verse 8).  Try that sometime.  That'll earn you some stares.

Then there's Paul.  This persecutor-of-the-church-turned-apostle who had spent so much of his life and energy traveling the Middle East & Asia Minor spreading the good news and starting churches, stands in front of a group of church leaders on the southwestern shore of what is modern-day Turkey and confesses: “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there." (Acts 20:22).  Verse one of the next chapter tells us that they didn't want him to go.  So much so that he and his party had to "tear" themselves away from them.

And Jeremiah.  God's prophet.  Our introduction to him in the first chapter of his self-titled prophecy sets the tone for his life:

4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
 5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,
   before you were born I set you apart;
   I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
 6 “Ah, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.”
 7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.

Four Quick Observations:
1. God knows you better than you know yourself - - and He values you highly. (Verses 4-5)
2. You don't need all the answers to take significant, obedient action. (Verses 6-7)
3. God is always with you when you obey Him. (Verse 8)
4. Obedience often will be scary & perilous. (Verse 8)

As a man (or woman) follows God, there will be times when we must act without knowing what the outcome will be.  Abraham didn't know where the journey would take him and his family.  Paul didn't know how it would turn out in Jerusalem.  (By the way, it turned out to be prison, trials, and execution.  Just thought you should know.)  Jeremiah didn't know what to say, yet he spoke.

I'm no Abraham. Or Paul.  Or, for that fact, a Jeremiah.  And I don't know how it will turn out.  Really.  I'm clueless.  But I fully intend to follow Christ no matter the outcome.  If you aren't already a follower, I invite you to join me on this adventure.

Semper Fidelis,
Doug